MMAEC utilizes a mandatory dress code for all elementary and middle school students. We believe we are setting the stage for success and are focused on learning for every child.
We also believe our dress code:
• Encourages students to express their individuality through personality and academic achievements, not outward appearances.
• Puts the focus on academics, not fashion.
• Helps create a sense of discipline and community feeling.
• Will eliminate the visible differences between needy and wealthy children.
• Eliminates pressure to wear brand name clothing, “gang colors,” etc.
• Will create a sense of school pride and belonging.
• It is cost effective for parents and helps eliminate conflicts about what to wear in the morning.
Dress should allow students to participate comfortably in a variety of physical and outdoor activities. Clothing should cover the body adequately and should not be distracting due to ill fit. Students who come to school inappropriately dressed will need to contact their parent(s). It is our expectation that a proper change of clothing will be provided if requested.
The dress code policy will be enforced for all students in all grade levels. The following procedure will be used for dress code violations:
1st Offense ‐ Verbal and written warning
2nd Offense ‐ Phone call to parent/guardian (at home or work)
3rd Offense ‐ Parent conference with head of school
Clothing is to be a proper fit for the child and must be properly worn (i.e. regular floor length pants, worn at waist level and not excessively baggy). Clothing is to be clean, without holes, and in good repair. Students are to be neat and well groomed for school. Shoes must be worn at all times. Buttons, patches, pins, or other accessories that are considered offensive and disruptive (sexually suggestive, profane, obscene, tobacco or alcohol advertisements, etc.) are not permitted. Sunglasses, hats, coats, and jackets may be worn outdoors only. Parents are urged to see that their children are properly dressed for inclement or cold weather. Students do not go outdoors if the temperature is below 15 degrees Fahrenheit (wind chill factor).
Items can be found at Walmart, Target, JC Penny, Old Navy and other local retailers.
• Pants – Khaki, navy or black slacks or capris. NOTE: Cargo pants, leggings, and “skinny” pants are not permitted.
• Shorts, jumpers, skirts, dresses, and skorts ‐ Khaki, navy or black NOTE: Cargo shorts are not permitted and lengths may not be shorter than two inches above the knee.
• Tops – Button‐ups, dress shirts, blouses, turtlenecks, polo shirts, cardigans, or sweaters in SOLID royal blue, navy, light blue or white NOTE: Tops can be either short sleeved or long sleeved but may not have visible brand logos.
• Socks, if visible, must be neutral in color.
• Tights – white, navy or black NOTE: Tights must be solid colored only and may not have patterns or designs
• Belt ‐ black or navy and may be worn with any bottoms containing belt loops.
• Shoes ‐ should be comfortable dress shoes (black, brown, or blue) NOTE: Platform, high‐heeled, white soles, sandals or open-toed shoes are not permitted.
*If you need assistance acquiring the required uniform items, please see the office or your child’s teacher. In this partnership, we will work with you to achieve success for your student. Please do not let a uniform stand between your student and success.
• Hats, visors, bandanas, hoodies, scarves and sunglasses are not to be worn in the building.
• Jewelry ‐ One pair of stud earrings is permitted for ears. Jewelry, if worn, should be lightweight, simple in style and kept to a minimum. Hoop earrings should be no bigger than 1-½ inches in diameter.
• Hair ‐ No “mohawks” of any kind. Hair should be nicely trimmed and maintained. Artificial coloring /dying of hair is not permitted.
• If shirts are of a tuck-in type, they must be neatly tucked into slacks.
• T-shirts are not allowed unless it is worn on a field trip and is specified by the teacher.
• No body piercings or tattoos of any type are allowed.
• Heelys (shoes with wheels) are not allowed.
• No additional accessories in the form of bracelets (bangles), watches, chains, rings, chokers or
• Rattail combs are not allowed in school.
• Backpacks/bookbags /lunchboxes with characters are not permitted.